|Landlord's Self-Help Centre
Community Legal Worker / Licensed Paralegal Contract
Landlord’s Self-Help Centre (LSHC) is a unique Legal Aid Ontario funded specialty clinic that assists thousands of small landlords across Ontario every year. In addition to clinical services, LSHC serves and promotes the interests of small landlords by developing learning resources and engaging in law reform and community development activities.
LSHC is seeking a Community Legal Worker/Licensed Paralegal who will assist with the delivery of a variety of services in the area of housing law pursuant to the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 and other housing legislation. The clinic is located in downtown Toronto. This is a contract position for a period of 3 to 6 months with the possibility of extension.
- Provide general information, referrals and summary legal advice on an individual basis both in person and by phone to small landlords
- Participate in the clinic’s public legal education, community development, outreach and law reform initiatives
- Diploma or degree in Paralegal Studies from an accredited Ontario college or university
- P1 Paralegal License and member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- 3-5 yrs. experience with a strong interest demonstrated in housing law and delivery of frontline client services
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; second language an asset
- Strong interpersonal, communication, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Advanced computer skills and comfortable learning software
- Able to work in a collaborative environment and excel as a team member
- Exercise sound judgment, discretion and confidentiality
- Ability to organize, prioritize, take initiative and thrive in fast-paced environment
- Able to draft legal documents, correspondence and develop content for public legal education materials
- Ability to speak a second language an asset
- Social media/web development skills an asset
Compensation and benefits:
- Salary will be commensurate to experience $55,000 – $65,000;
- After three months Group Health and Dental Benefits; and Group RRSP provided
- LSO dues reimbursed on pro rata basis
LSHC is committed to equitable employment and hiring practices. We are dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve, including diversity in race, culture, languages spoken, sexual orientation and gender identity. We actively encourage applications from individuals from diverse, racialized and Indigenous communities and backgrounds.
We will provide accommodation during the hiring process upon request and all information is treated confidentially. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter to Trish Thomas, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in the position. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note: Although the clinic is currently operating on a hybrid model due to pandemic conditions, it is expected that this role will be full-time in office upon return to the office location.