Eviction Moratorium Ends

The Landlord and Tenant Board continued to accept applications throughout the state of emergency and eviction moratorium. However, only applications that were based on urgent matters (posed serious health and safety issues or involve illegal activity in the rental unit) could seek relief from the LTB, applications which did not seek termination of the tenancy, and tenant applications, were scheduled for hearing.

Bill 184 – Protecting Tenants and Strengthening Community Housing Act, 2020

Bill 184 was introduced on March 12, just prior to the adjournment of the Ontario Legislative Assembly due to health risks presented by the COVID-19 pandemic. The Provincial Housing Supply Action Plan Consultation, held in December 2018 and January 2019, informed the development of the legislation and has been referenced on numerous occasions by the […]

Urgent Hearing Request and Procedure

The Urgent Hearing Request process is no longer available due to the resumption of Landlord and Tenant Board services effective August 1, 2020, see Eviction Moratorium Ends for details. Relief for urgent matters The process that is followed for an urgent matter requires that the landlord give proper notice to their tenants and file the […]

Province releases new Standard Lease Form

On February 7, 2018, Ontario’s Ministry of Housing released the new Residential Tenancy Agreement (Standard Form of Lease). This new lease is written in plain language to make it easier for landlords and tenants to understand the rights and responsibilities they have under the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006. It is also an attempt to reduce […]

Laneway Houses / Habitations accessibles par la ruelle

The “Make Way for Laneway” report discusses laneway houses and other small-scale housing as options, such as second suites and infill townhouses, as models to increase affordable housing and population density while preserving the character and architecture of mature neighbourhoods. Laneway houses, like second suites, can provide housing in neighbourhoods that are walkable, close to […]

Why are tenants not responsible for the treatment of bed bugs? / Pourquoi les locataires ne sont-ils pas responsables des frais d’extermination des punaises des lits?

Bed bugs, bed-bugs, or bedbugs are parasitic insects of the cimicid family that feed exclusively on blood. Cimex lectularius, the common bed bug, is the best known as it prefers to feed exclusively on human blood – https://wikipedia.org Reports of bed bug infestations across Ontario have increased significantly in recent years.  Dealing with an infestation […]