- Written tenancy agreement rules came info force on April 30, 2018
- Standard Form Lease amended March 1, 2021
All landlords renting in Ontario should be aware that the Province has introduced a new Standard Form of Lease which must be used for written residential tenancy agreements in Ontario which are entered into on April 30, 2018 and after. Please discontinue use of your current tenancy agreement or lease and obtain a copy of the Ministry of Housing issued Standard Form of Lease.
The new form contains mandatory clauses and standardized information which landlords must provide to tenants entering into a written tenancy agreement on or after April 30, 2018. Landlords can add clauses in Section 15 of the new Standard Form of Lease to address terms and/or describe responsibilities unique to their tenancy agreement or rental unit/rental property.
Get the new Standard Form of Lease at http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/FormDetail?OpenForm&ACT=RDR&TAB=PROFILE&SRCH=&ENV=WWE&TIT=2229E&NO=047-2229E. The form can be filled out online, printed and save or you can print it and fill it out offline Additional information about the new Standard Lease Form requirement form can be found at the Ministry of Housing’s website – http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page18704.asp.
LSHC has posted a sample of a completed Standard Lease to serve as a guide when completing the form.
LSHC has created new resources to help you better understanding the new Standard Form of Lease requirement:
- New LSHC RTA Fact Sheet – https://landlordselfhelp.com/media/2018-Residential-Tenancy-Agreement-Standard-Form-of-Lease.pdf
- LSHC Blog post https://landlordselfhelp.com/blog/standard-lease-form/
- LSHC Quarterly Newsletter – March 2018
- LSHC Standard Form of Lease Workshop – April 18, 2018 Ministry of Housing Standard-Form-of-Lease-Presentation