If the property is in the City of Toronto, you can refer to this fact sheet: http://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebase/35/101000038235.html for basic information. It also contains a link to Section 629 of the Municipal Code and the contact telephone number – 311 – for the City Staff, who can put you through to Municipal Licensing Staff to better answer your question. If the property is in another municipality, you should call that municipal government telephone number for clarification.