FAQ Categories

It is an offence under the Residential Tenancies Act for a tenant to change the locks and bar the landlord’s access to the rental unit. A landlord may write a letter to the tenant requesting that the chain lock be removed. If the tenant does not comply, a landlord may contact the Investigations and Enforcement Unit Department of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing at 416-585-7214. They can notify the tenant that he/she is committing an offence under the Act and can be fined.