FAQ Categories

We cannot provide any information on the appeal process as that is outside our level of expertise. When it comes to appeals, you have to seek advice from a lawyer.

Generally, if an order is made for the tenant to pay outstanding rent, it is to be paid directly to the landlord. In some cases, tenants may be directed to pay rent into the Board, but that usually happens if a case is adjourned and the Board will hold the funds until a decision is made.

Rules 26 of the Landlord and Tenant Board Rules of Practice (http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/Law/STEL02_111879.html) specify: At the end of a hearing, the Member will adjourn the hearing pending the issuance of an order. In view of subsection 17(1) of the SPPA, the written order is the official decision of the Board. The written order (and reasons, if issued) have legal status and are enforceable. 26.1 The Board shall send a copy of any order and/or reasons to each party to the application: (a) by ordinary mail to the last known address of each party; (b) by ordinary mail to the representative of the party; or (c) by any other method directed or permitted by the Member. Provided the case is not too complicated, Orders tend to be issued within a week or so from the hearing date.

Once the Board issues an Order for arrears based on an L9 application, that Order can only be enforced in Small Claims Court. The Board does not deal with the collection process. If you know where the tenant is employed or where they bank, you can go to Small Claims Court and file for a Garnishment of wages or bank account. This can be done even if the tenant is still in possession of the unit.