FAQ Categories

Tenants can usually claim an abatement of rent if there has been interference with their reasonable enjoyment of the premises. In the situation that you describe you should definitely try to reach an agreement with the tenant on what would be a reasonable amount of a rent reduction. If you come to an agreement with the tenant there isn’t a formal document to use in this case, you can just draft something up yourself and have the tenant sign it. If you cannot come to an agreement then the tenant has the option of filing an application with the Landlord and Tenant Board for them to make the decision.