Frequently Asked Questions

Your first stop for self-help is a review of our FAQs. Take a look at the ever increasing collection of questions asked by Ontario’s small-scale landlords as well as the actual answers provided by Landlord’s Self-Help Centre.

A tenant can apply for a bad faith application within two years of leaving the rental unit.

Yes, the tenant is correct. In order to serve notices to the tenant by email there has to be consent by both parties. The Standard Form of Lease includes a section in which both parties can consent to service by email, it must be checked off in order to serve any type of notice by either party. The tenant can also consent in writing for service by email at any time during the tenancy. The landlord should keep in mind that the tenant can withdraw their consent at any time during the tenancy.

With regards to this situation, if you do not pay the amount owed by the date specified on the Order, there isn’t really a penalty other than the 3% annual interest accruing. However, the tenant could start proceedings to collect from you anytime after that date. Some of the possible methods of collecting include putting a lien on property, or garnishment of wages or bank account. The only advice we can give you is to try talking to the tenant and see if you can come to an agreement to allow you more time to pay.

Skip to content