FAQ Categories

The tenants can call the city and complain (city may then do an inspection). It is recommended for the landlord to give the tenant some kind of compensation and sign a N11 form to end the tenancy. When the unit is vacant the landlord can obtain the proper permits to ensure it is legal before renting again in the future.

If you believe an illegal act is being committed at your rental unit, you can request to get a copy of the police reports as per the Freedom of Information Act. However, it is not a quick process, and can take some time.

It depends. Have to make sure the entire rental unit isn’t being used for the business. Ask the landlord how they are affected by this? See if the area is zones, are they allowed to have a business in that area? Landlord is usually involved when the insurance company doesn’t cover the commercial use or if the municipality fines the landlord

No, the landlord does not have to install an AC unit since it is not classified as a vital service unlike heating (which has to be at 20 degrees). The landlord should specify in their rental agreement that if the tenant wants to install a AC unit they still need permission from the landlord and it will be at the tenant’s expense.

Landlord should give back the deposit as soon as possible, have a witness and document everything. There is a chance that the prospective tenant may try to sue the landlord for breach of contract. The landlord should inform the tenant as soon as possible, because the tenant should be given sufficient notice so they can find another place.

*The tenant will also have the responsibility to try and mitigate damages and try to show that they tried to find another place but they couldn’t. They may be awarded compensation and moving expenses if successful.

It is the landlord’s obligation to do the screening and check references prior to giving the tenant keys. Also the landlord should not always call the phone numbers provided by the tenant, they can google the tenant’s employer and contact them through the contact information found online.

Yes, the landlord can cash out the last month’s rent deposit and have it sitting in the bank. The landlord will owe the tenant interest on the last month’s rent (which is always the same as the guideline increase).

To charge a yearly rent, and have the tenant pay the rent for the whole year in one payment, s. 106 (2) of the Residential Tenancies Act specifies that the deposit amount in such situations cannot exceed the amount for one month.

For a monthly rent, landlords can charge or collect up front a deposit equal to one month’s rent to be used as the last month’s rent deposit. The first month’s rent is only collectible on the day that the rent is due, so it can be post-dated for that date if both parties consent to this. All other payments would be illegal, and it is an offence under the Act to collect them, even where it is the tenant’s idea. There is one glaring exception in case law to this rule (http://canliiconnects.org/en/commentaries/26852) but LSHC’s position is that unless landlords are acting on the advice of an attorney, it is still not advisable to collect more than first and last month’s rent at once.

Overall, landlords should do regular screening process with any applicants, and use a regular monthly rent payment agreement, whether on a month-to-month or fixed-term tenancy agreement with the tenants. LSHC recommends that you do not set up a yearly payment schedule agreement.

If both parties agree, usually at the application or lease stage, that it is convenient to pay by post-dated cheque, then the law allows this method of payment. Landlords cannot force this as a method of payment, and if the tenant changes their mind, then the payment method reverts to cash or regular cheques.

Electronic payment by e-transfer is very common these days, but the law does not make specific mention of this payment method. Once again, the tenant would have to agree to this way of paying.

Landlords are not required to keep the last month’s rent deposit in a separate account. As you may already know, however, you must pay the tenant interest on the rent deposit every 12 months, so good record-keeping is required.

When a pattern has been set, it is usually a challenge to change it. It is indeed a tenant’s duty to get the rent to the landlord, but landlords often allow a pattern to develop where they go to pick up the rent, and the tenant gets used to waiting for this instead of meeting the payment obligation in a timely fashion.

You can certainly serve an N4 notice for non-payment of rent if the rent is not paid on the day it is due, but if the tenant is going to pay within the 14 days that the form tells them is their right, it may end up actually taking longer to collect that rent. That is the risk you take as a landlord when you exercise that right.

Payment cannot change from cash to another method of payment unless it is by mutual consent.

You will have to communicate with the person you are using as the agent to determine the details of when payments will be given to you. This is because it is a contractual matter between you as the landlord, and the person you are using as the agent for the landlord, when dealing with the tenant. The Residential Tenancies Act only deals with matters that arise between a landlord and a tenant; it does not get into any details about how agency contracts work.

The last month’s rent deposit can be collected in advance of the occupancy date on the tenancy agreement, but the first month’s rent is legally only payable on the day the tenancy begins. If this is to be July 1st in your case, the tenant may not have paid it yet, or the amount for July could legally be post-dated for July 1st. The agent can tell you what is happening.

It will be the same situation with or without a lease. They have the same rights and you must follow the same steps and use the same forms.

If there were two or more co-tenants who entered into the contract, then unless they get the landlord’s clear consent or are otherwise allowed by a Member of the Landlord and Tenant Board, they are both bound to the terms of the contract even if they no longer live in the property.

The landlord must still name both or all parties on the N4 for nonpayment or any other notices or applications, so that it is clear that the contract is still in full effect. The landlord may be able to apply for collection against either or both parties for garnishment, for example, at some future date.

Trying to make the tenant who left actually pay the rent or damages is not an easy thing to do, but the possibility of eviction because of this nonpayment usually acts as an incentive for whoever is still living in the property.

There is nothing that a landlord can do to limit the number of occupants that live with the tenant unless the number exceeds a municipal occupancy standard. Usually this allows about 100 square feet per person, regardless of any lease term restrictions.

You are certainly within your rights to argue that the tenant’s use, or perhaps overuse of certain parts of the property constitute substantial interference with you reasonable enjoyment of the premises, or the enjoyment by other tenants on the property. This would mean you would have the option of serving an N5 notice.

It seems that your lease does not clearly specify the limits of use of the part of the property you are describing. If it does, then this would give you more leverage to make the tenants stop using that area. If the lease is vague or does not mention what areas of the property tenants do/do not have access to, then the best you can do is take the position that there was a verbal understanding about these limits when the tenancy began. Clearly, this is not ideal, because if you have to take the matter further by serving an N5 notice to terminate due to the tenant interfering with your enjoyment or that of another tenant on the property, then your position is weaker than it should be. Clear contract terms are vitally important.

If the downspout has been damaged by the chairs, then you can serve an N5 notice for this damage. You can also ask them to move their position to avoid damage to the downspout.

If you’re going to serve a notice, I suggest you show these pictures to your local Fire Services office and ask about safety for those exiting the building because the chairs are very close to the door. Here http://www.secondsuites.info/service-directory/ is a map to help you find the office for your area. You could also argue that you do not want heavy objects to be so close to the window in case a storm causes the chair to lift up and smash the glass.

When drafting any lease agreements, it is best to clearly outline what is the appropriate and allowable use of the property in the wording of the lease itself. The easiest way to prevent overuse or abuse of a right to use the yard for socializing is to not allow it at all in future.

It is perfectly lawful for the tenant to allow someone to move in with them without telling the landlord who that person is. You would only be able to gather information on the person if the tenant wants to add him to the tenancy agreement and have him be responsible to pay rent, at which point you could screen him as you would any new applicant to rent.

The law only considers a person to be an unauthorized occupant if they are left behind after the tenant has vacated the unit, which does not seem to be happening in your situation.

At the moment, you cannot insist on his information, as this can be seen as interfering with the tenant’s reasonable enjoyment, and may cause you to be subject to a Tenant’s Rights application at the Landlord and Tenant Board.

The time to factor a person’s income situation into your decision making is before you say yes to renting to someone, by screening them during the application for rent stage. Once your tenant is in, they are under no obligation to discuss their finances with you.

It is acceptable to sign documents electronically, in the same way that a signature on a document that has been faxed is acceptable. 

Where you must be careful is the method by which the signed document is served or delivered, as it cannot be delivered electronically.

We cover the various methods allowed under the Residential Tenancies Act the our “Town Hall” material on serving notices, it is available here: http://landlordselfhelp.com/media/2016/01/TownHall_serving-doucments_public.pdf

No, landlords have no way to force tenants to get contents or liability insurance, even where the lease says the tenants will get it. However, it will limit the tenant’s options if they ever make a claim against landlords in the future.

The Residential Tenancies Act requires ALL landlords provide new tenants with an information package detailing basic landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities as well as information on how to contact the Landlord and Tenant Board. The information package is posted online and is available for download at http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/documents/ltb/Brochures/Information%20for%20New%20Tenants.html

It is a breach of the Ontario Human Rights Code to rent a unit and demand that there be “no children” allowed. A no pets clause is not enforceable under the Residential Tenancies Act. Damage deposits are not lawful under the Residential Tenancies Act, it is in fact an offence under the Act to charge them.

The landlord is responsible for the unit and MUST maintain it in a good state of repair, fit for habitation and for complying with health, safety, housing and maintenance standards at all times, before and throughout the tenancy.

Under the Residiential Tenancies Act landlords have the benefit of “vacancy decontrol” which means landlords can establish a new rent each time the rental unit becomes vacant to reflect current market conditions. Landlords also have the option of changing the services or amenities provided with the unit such as parking spaces, hydro, appliances, laundry facilities, etc.

Please refer to the Fact Sheet on our site entitled “Before You Rent …” at https://landlordselfhelp.com/media/2017-Before-You-Rent.pdf. This Fact Sheet provides a general outline on the steps to take before renting. You will also find a lot of information for landlords on the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation website at https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca and also the Landlord and Tenant Board’s website at http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/ltb/

You can contact us by telephone during the following hours: Monday 9:00 am to 6:30 pm; Tuesday 9:00 am to 4:30 pm; Thursday 9:00 am to 4:30 pm; and Friday 8:30 am to 3:00 pm. Our office is closed on Wednesdays. If planning to drop into the office, please call ahead as drop-in hours differ from telephone service hours.

It is not clear what you mean by Occupancy Agreement, but if the person that occupies your apartment will be paying you rent then that person is considered a tenant.

The Residential Tenancies Act applies to all rental units regardless of whether the unit is located in a family home, a large building, a condominium or even a whole house.

You can usually find rental agreement forms online or through a Real estate agency. LSHC also offers these forms in the members’ area of this website. It is important to know that a standard lease will be provided by the Landlord and Tenant Board in the near future. Ontario’s Fair Housing Plan (https://news.ontario.ca/mof/en/2017/04/ontarios-fair-housing-plan.html) outlines several changes that are forthcoming from the Ontario government, one of which is a standardized lease agreement.

We have an information sheet entitled Before You Rent that provides guidance on screening tenants https://landlordselfhelp.com/media/2017-Before-You-Rent.pdf

Provided that you are the owner of the rental property and the tenant will be required to share the kitchen and/or bathroom with you or your immediate family, landlord and tenant law will not apply to your rental arrangement. Below is a link to our “Sharing Kitchen and/or Bathroom” Fact Sheet which provides further information on this type of rental accommodation. https://landlordselfhelp.com/media/2017-Sharing-bathroom-kitchen.pdf

We cannot provide information on this process, but we suggest calling the municipality for this information. If the building is in Toronto, contact the city’s Municipal Licensing and Standards department by calling 311.

If you rent even just one unit, you are a landlord. The Residential Tenancies Act is the current legislation governing landlord and tenant relationships.

The law does not set out any provision that would allow for a “cooling off” period once a tenancy agreement or lease is signed.

A second suite means a second unit rented out in the home where the owner is residing. It must meet specific requirements under the Toronto Second Suites bylaw. You can obtain more information on this issue on the second suites website at www.secondsuites.info.

Load More