Frequently Asked Questions

Your first stop for self-help is a review of our FAQs. Take a look at the ever increasing collection of questions asked by Ontario’s small-scale landlords as well as the actual answers provided by Landlord’s Self-Help Centre.

If the tenant does not vacate voluntarily you will have to file for eviction with the Enforcement/Sheriff’s office. You will find a Fact Sheet on this issue at

The only option you have to enforce the Order of the Landlord and Tenant Board is the Sheriff. The Sheriff’s fees can be recovered from the tenant when you are collecting on the Order received from the Board. One method of collecting is to file a Garnishment of Wages or Bank account which is done in Small Claims Court. You must have the information on where the tenant works to proceed with a garnishment. If you do not have this information you may have to go to a collection agency instead.

A tenant has up to one year after an eviction to file an application against the landlord at the Landlord and Tenant Board.

Skip to content