Frequently Asked Questions

Your first stop for self-help is a review of our FAQs. Take a look at the ever increasing collection of questions asked by Ontario’s small-scale landlords as well as the actual answers provided by Landlord’s Self-Help Centre.

You need to follow the Ontario Fire Code and possibly the Ontario Building Code. It is advisable to get answers related to fire safety directly from the Office of the Fire Marshall at

Here is an interactive service directory map from the Second Suites website which you may find helpful. Even though your building has eight units, much of the same information applies. Just zoom in and click on the area where the building is located and it should give you some useful information page links, including the appropriate office dealing with fire services for the area.

The landlord should serve the tenant with an N7 notice based on safety, which is a 10-day notice to terminate the tenancy early, and follow up with an application to the Landlord and Tenant Board.

It is the landlord’s responsibility to provide smoke detectors for the rental unit which must be located on every level of the home and a minimum of a 2A portable fire extinguisher must also be provided. If you need more information about the Fire Code requirements contact the Fire Marshall’s office at 416-325-3100.

Tenants are not permitted to tamper with the smoke detectors, contact your municipal fire inspector to report this situation. If the tenant has contravened the Ontario Fire Code, the local fire department can issue a ticket.

We suggest you inquire about this issue with your insurance company as the Residential Tenancies Act does not include any specific provisions about this situation.

Skip to content