FAQ Categories

The legalization or authorization of a rental unit can be a very complex process. You will find detailed information to assist in this regard at www.secondsuites.info. The information was developed specifically for homeowners with second suites. Additional information can be obtained from your local municipality with respect to  a municipal licensing and inspection process and prescribed standards which need to be met in order for the unit to be rented out.

Landlord’s Self-Help Centre can only provide summary advice on “most” landlord/tenant related questions from landlords. Unfortunately, as the nature of your questions is very specific to the history of your property, and the municipality in which the property is located, the “rules” vary from one municipality to the next. We will not be able to provide you with accurate and usable summary advice on your situation. You may have to deal with a lawyer specializing in municipal law to coordinate and access the information you are seeking. I imagine you have already dealt with the municipality staff directly, but it is a good idea to do so if you have not.